Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Part 5

I jumped awake. My heart racing. I had briefly forgotten where I was. Squinting through my tired grey eyes, I looked at the clock. 6 am. Wow. Wasn't that like yesterday 10 am in L.A.? Jet lag sucks. Well I am here for the long haul, I thought, as I swung my legs over the edge of the bed. I got dressed, brushed my teeth, and went to find my Aunt.

“Good morning my Aunt,” I said giving my Aunt a squeeze.

“Good morning, my love.”

“What's the day?” I asked, pouring myself a cup of coffee.

“Normal stuff,” she said, “Mucking. Feeding. You don't have to jump right in Sweetheart.”

“I'm good. It's what we do. Well, I'm off. I'll start with Joe first. You'd think he was still in L.A. Working that skinny look.”

Eileen couldn't put anything past her niece.

Wearing my light vanilla scent and whistling a snappy tune, I said good morning to Joe, as I opened his stall. A welcoming whinny was returned. “Alright Joe, here is your morning breakfast. I expect you to eat it all.” I found a wheelbarrow, a rake, and a shovel and started mucking Joe's stall.

“Ah Joe, such a good boy. Let's put you in your paddock and I can finish my work.”

I got to learn the names of the other horses my Aunt had at the ranch, as I finished mucking and feeding. A couple hours later, with my boots making a tapping noise down the middle of the barn, I went in search of my Aunt.

“Aunt Eileen. What’s up?”  I asked. “So, are all these yours for training or are some just boarders?”

“Two are for training and three are boarders.” Eileen spent some time going over each horse.

“I can work the boarders if you leave me a list of their needs. You know exercise, turnouts, etc.,” I said.

“The extra help will be great. Uncle Scott will be relieved not to help any more,” she chuckled.

With my chores done, I realized it was lunch and I was hungry! I went into the kitchen and made myself a sandwich. Mmmm! After cleaning up, I went up to my room and changed into some trusty riding pants and short boots. To finish my ensemble, I grabbed a coat, stocking cap, my helmet and headed out to Joe.

“Oh, hey, Aunt Eileen, may I go exploring a bit?”

“Sure. Just mind the time and the weather. It can change quickly. I see that you have some warm clothing on just in case. I’ll see you at dinner,” Aunt Eileen said, giving Aileen a hug.

“Excellent,” I said, returning the hug and kissed her on the cheek.

I had a big smile on my face as I went to get Joe. I loved Joe. I whistled as I opened the paddock gate. I put my hand under his chin guiding him over to the tack room grabbing a slightly heavier saddle as opposed to a light dressage saddle. With Joe appropriately tacked up, I said, “Come on Joe, I need the fence to climb up onto you.”

1 comment: