Saturday, June 9, 2018

Part 8

Over the next few days Aileen stayed away from the lighthouse, but couldn't stay away from the beach. I started thinking the flute music was for me. I didn’t want to speak to him and stare into those gorgeous blue eyes for fear of gaining another 'Stalker of the Year' title, so I would dance with Joe or by myself. 

I really wanted to think the music was for me and the beach was mystical. He always seemed to know what time of day I went down there. Instinctively, I knew that he was there watching cause the music would change, as if he was orchestrating my dance moves. 

Later on in the week, I didn’t hear any music during my sojourn to the beach, so I thought maybe he was gone. I quickly mounted Joe and rode up to his house and the lighthouse. I dismounted and left Joe to graze. Walking slowly over to the closest window, I looked inside. There was in fact studio recording equipment, but no sounds coming out.

Thinking I could show my thanks by straightening his bachelor pad, becoming top three in the 'Stalker of the Year' race, I crept up to the house which was, it seemed, the size of a small castle. I looked through the only window I could reach. It looked dark and empty.

I tried the door and it opened. Wow, that wouldn’t happen in L.A. I walked in. Stopped. Listened. All quiet. I noticed the only room being used seemed like a living room. There was a couch in front of the fireplace. A really large bed off in a corner. I walked past the bed to look into the bathroom, noticing a small window above the toilet, seemingly the only light source.

Breaking out my inner Goldilocks, I rubbed my hands together and said to myself let’s get started. I thought I would straighten up to show my thanks. There were just a few dirty dishes so I started there, washing those. I picked up dirty clothes and put them by the washer, that was in an alcove at the far end of the kitchen. On my way back through the kitchen I found a broom and dust pan. I made the bed first. It was huge, but gorgeous and soft. Next, I swept the floor and hearth. 

As I was in the bathroom getting ready to clean, I heard a vehicle and panicked. I looked around for an escape route, and spotted the bathroom window, so I decided to try and climb out. Two thirds of the way through, I slipped and the window slammed down on my foot! I ended up upside down. Hanging upside down! By one foot! “Really?!” I whispered.


I tried to reach up to my foot to try to pull myself up, but curse my lack of abdominal strength, I couldn’t. I wonder if they make an Ab Master, like Suzanne Somer’s Thigh Master. All of a sudden there was a pony ripping out grass close by. Where did that pony come from? “Oh Pony! Come here pony. Pal? Spot?” I whispered, waving my hands, trying to coax the pony over in case I could somehow use the pony, but to no avail.

I tried getting Joe’s attention but he was busy getting to know the pony. “Really Joe? This has to be the one time you disobey me?” Ugh, I thought, relaxing a moment, my back against the wall of the house. My mind went to my crazy thought place, mentally tapping my chin, wondering if I should chew my leg off like a coyote in a trap or do enough sit ups to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for 'doing the most sit ups, hanging by one foot from a bathroom window'.

I had been hanging there for a few minutes, my leg and foot starting to get sore, when I heard, “Oh my,” in a man’s voice, full of sarcasm, “it looks like Goldilocks was here.” A few moments later I heard footsteps coming around the corner of the house.

When I saw him, I just started laughing, “Ah ha ha ha!” Putting my hands over my eyes, “A good deed never goes unpunished,” I said, on the verge of hysteria. I thought he might have smiled.

He shook his head and said under his breath, as he walked over, “I guess I can’t leave you there.” He was right next next to me now and said,” Put your hands aroond ma neck.” He got his arms under me to lift me enough to raise the window. He managed to get my foot free.

He held me in his arms maybe a smidge longer than necessary. And my fingers may have ran themselves through the hair on the back of his neck, secretly hoping he would kiss me while I drowned in his amazing blue eyes.

He set me down and backed away a bit and said in his strong Scottish accent, “Guess I will have to start locking ma doors from now on!” He turned from me and started to walk back to the front door, yet again, dismissing me.

“Wait!” I cried out, but he just kept walking. I had to hurry to keep up. “I just wanted to show my thanks for saving me the other day.” I ended up slowing down cause I couldn’t keep up, “But I guess now you’ve saved me twice,” I said softly, my voice peetering out as I stopped walking.

He turned to me grudgingly and said, “You are welcome. G’day.” And with that he was gone. I stood there a moment feeling bereft. I grabbed Joe’s reins and walked home. Feeling sad and dejected.

Vince stood inside his door, leaning up against the door. 

“Damn!" he said out loud.  Twice now his fairy pixey was causing trouble in his life, he thought as he replayed those moments in his mind. I am falling in love with her, he concluded to himself. It was all he could do to not start laughing hysterically, but having her in his arms was perfect. Beautiful. Soft. Wonderful. I dinna want tae let her go, he agonized. Next time he wouldn’t be able to stop. Though, judging by her stray fingers playing in his hair she returned his feelings. The worship in her eyes gave him the impression she wouldn’t stop next time either.

He grabbed a beer from the fridge and sat in front of the fire and brooded. How did this come to be? My life was just fine. Quiet. Stark. Uneventful. A couple beers later he fell asleep on the couch, in front of the fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment