Thursday, July 5, 2018

Part 20

Aileen awoke slowly. I thought something was wrong cause I couldn’t move, then I realized it was just Vincent. I untangled myself from his strong arms and went to the bathroom. On the way back I found my shirt and undies and went to go get some of the leftovers I brought.

Taking a plate to the couch. I sat in front of the fire, after adding a log, and sat eating, staring into the fire. My aunt was right, I need to be careful. I have a tendency to jump in with both feet and my relationships always seemed to end in disaster. I never knew if I was the problem or the guy. I sighed. But Vincent...

Vincent reached out to empty space. He sat up and saw his fairy pixey sitting on the couch staring into the flames, all golden in the dark with just the light from the fire illuminating her silhouette. He should get up and go see what’s on her mind. Putting on a pair of jeans he padded over to the couch and sat down.

“Vince I can go make you a plate,” I said starting to get up.

“No, Lassie, it’s all right. I’ll get something later. Sit,” Vince insisted pulling her close. “I think you had something on your mind and I interrupted you,” Vince said kissing the palm of one of her hands.

“You’re gonna make me forget again if you keep that up,” I said with a smile. He looked at me wickedly as he licked my palm slowly. “Vince, seriously,” I admonished.

“Mmm,” He moaned.

“I just wanted to tell you I won’t be around next week. My Aunt and I have two horses in training and the owners and riders are coming for one on one training,” I managed to get out.

“What kind of training?” Vince asked rubbing her back lightly.

“You’ve watched the Summer Olympics haven’t you?”

“No. I was always busy musically. But I am familiar with it.”

“Well I grew up riding horses, following in my Aunt’s footsteps. I got as far as an alternate rider with Joe.”

He saw her face light up with excitement and she started talking faster.

“It was so exciting. One of the dressage riders had to drop out at the last minute, as his horse wasn’t feeling good, so Joe and I danced our way to a bronze medal.”

The smile on her face was brilliant. “Do you mean like the way you and Joe were dancing or riding on the beach the first day I saw you?”

“Yes,” I said. “I didn’t know you saw us from up there but I heard the pan pipes and I just started dancing.”

“Well this might all work in our favor. You’ll be busy and I still have to go visit my niece. I, also, have a few music festivals booked coming up,” Vince said. “So I think we need to make the most of our time tonight.”

“You wicked man,” I said drowning in his long lashed deep blue eyes.

"Follow me, my fairy pixey, to my bed. I will show you the wonderment of me!"

I smacked him. "Conceited Oaf."


It was 5:30 in the morning. I woke to my phone alarm, wishing I could stay here forever. I felt him give me a squeeze. I assume my alarm woke him up.

Vince kissed her cheek, and said, “Good morning,” hugging her close, also wishing she could stay. 

“Mmmm, good morning my pied piper,” I replied stretching.

He kissed her forehead and whispered, “It’s probably time for you to go.”

“It is.” I wanted to say ‘I love you’ but felt that I needed to be cautious. I sighed and went to find my clothes, but didn’t get very far, as they were magically folded on the night stand. My heart expanded with love for him. No one cared for me like that. A lone tear slipped down my cheek. I discretely wiped it away as I put on my shirt.

Dressed, I grabbed the basket and went to leave. He was blocking the door. “Vince, you are making it hard for me to leave,” I said brokenly trying to hold back tears.

“I’m sorry, it was not my intention to make you cry, but I have a small token for you.” He pressed a small box with a bow into her hand.

I set the basket down and opened the box, dreading what may be in it. I saw, with a weird sense of relief, that it was a key. A key to his heart maybe? I looked up at him in question.

“To the castle. You know, in case you want to clean,” He offered trying not to laugh.

I smiled and chuckled. “Yes. That might just come in handy.” I hugged him and with a parting kiss I said, “Have a good visit with your niece and good luck with the festivals.”

Hugging her back, he said, “Bye.”

“Bye.” And with that, I was out the door and practically running back to the ranch.

1 comment: