Friday, July 20, 2018

Part 31

Within the next couple months Aileen moved in with Vincent all the while planning the wedding. Vince was fine letting her run amuck just so long as she didn’t put him in an American tux. It had to be a dress kilt and nothing too froufrou or pink.

That afternoon her and Aunt Eileen were headed into Edinburgh to meet up with Fiona and Shae to do some wedding dress shopping and have lunch. Since Vince said he was going to have his brother, Fiona’s husband, stand up with him she planned on asking Fiona to be her maid of honor. Aunt and Uncle Scott had agreed to fill the parents of the bride position.

They finally made it to the bridal shop. Aileen was so excited and overwhelmed at the same time. She wasn’t sure if she could keep this wedding ceremony and reception small and intimate like she and Vincent had discussed. The old world charm of these shops had her drooling. Los Angeles had nothing on this place.

“Here we are,” Eileen said upon finding a place to park.

“I love living here. The ‘Old World Charm’ is just beautiful. Nothing like this in Los Angeles.”

Inside they met up with Fiona and Shae.

“Aileen, you are glowing. You look so happy,” she said, hugging me, “and we are so happy to be included.”

“Eileen, it’s terrific to see you,” Fiona said, hugging Eileen.

“You, too, Hon.”

Over the next couple hours Aileen tried on dresses, shoes, veils, hats and head pieces. After she decided on most of her items, Eileen, Fiona, and Shae worked on picking out something to wear for themselves. She decided that it would be a good time to ask Fiona to stand up with her. Her Aunt was already on board.

“Fiona, I was wondering if you would do me the honor of being my Maid Of Honor?” Aileen asked hopefully.

Fiona looked at her, stunned. “Are you sure? I mean, don’t you have any close friends? Younger friends?”

“No. Just Aunt Eileen and she is the Mother Of The Bride. I would be honored if you would. And I was wondering if Shae would be our Flower Girl/Ring Bearer. I mean in a more older grown up version?” she asked. Aileen looked over at Shae and she had a smile on her face. She was relieved. She wasn’t sure if Shae would think herself too old.

“Yes,” she replied excitedly.

“Then, maybe with your help, we can figure out what you can do or how you can do it. How to carry the rings and walk down the aisle,” she said. “And, Fiona. Shae. Pick out your outfit, my treat,” Aileen said, offering up yet another surprise.

“Aileen, that is way too generous,” Fiona admonished.

“It’s alright. I still have the money from the sale of my house in the states.”

“Well, if you are sure.”

“So, Ladies, since I am wearing white, what colors should we pick for you all for the wedding?” Immediately three voices fired back at me. “Blue. Purple. Peach!”

Aileen interjected when there was a lull in the conversation, “Um, how about purple and green. Those were the colors in my hair when Vince first saw me, representing the Scottish Thistle, and carry that theme throughout?”

All three ladies looked at me. “Brilliant!”

The spirited banter continued for the next three hours as Eileen, Fiona and Shae tried on item after item.

Fiona guided all of them to a wonderful little bistro and because it was so late they ended up eating a late lunch, early dinner.

“So, Aileen, how is the remodeling of the Castle going?” Fiona asked as she took a sip of her wine.


“Fiona, I am so glad you asked. I think I need your help. I can do some of it but your style and connections are truly needed. Maybe you can come by later this week?” she implored.

"Oh, Hon, I would love too. I love to shop!”

“Thank you,” Aileen said with relief.

1 comment: